Guess how I spent my work day?
Today was very unusual in the way that our office wasn't in Legazpi and we weren't doing normal stuff. This morning Mart and I had to drive 2 hours away to Sorsogon city to give a Department of Trade & Industry sponsored talk on Green Living.
What does it mean to live "green"?
I've got to admit that I don't know much about it, just the run-of-the-mill tips that are taught to us at school such as:
2 Turn off lights when not in use
3 Close faucets
4 Segregate trash
And I didn't think much of it until I read the "Go Green, Live Rich" book by David Bach. He too was like me, a greenhorn about living green. Until he realized that by changing daily habits by making more environmentally conscientious decisions he was able to lessen his carbon footprint, save money and help the environment. He details 50 great tips towards living a greener lifestyle and although some of them are not applicable in the Philippine setting, most of them will give you a take-away feeling that being a green person is actually SIMPLE, EASY & PROFITABLE.
Some tips that really stuck are:
1. drive smartly : by using a gas efficient car or running a well maintained vehicle
2. BYOB (bring you own bag) when shopping to save on plastics and paper bags
3. Unplug unused appliances as this adds to your phantom load which is approx 5% of your monthly electric bill
4. Turn off/tightly close faucets and leaks as by not doing so you increase your water consumption
5. plant native plants (or indigenous ones) as this uses 50% less water than those that are not
6. Use CFL better yet LED bulbs that are more energy efficient and saves you money
7. Sell your junk such as old newspapers, plastic bottles for cash
8. Skip a trip by using public transport or walking to your destination
... and so much more.
See those tips weren't exactly hard things to do, and are actually pretty simple in nature. Just by doing your little bit you are able to lessen your carbon foot print and save the environment!
Who is sab_adventures?
I have always wanted to write. This will now be a creative outlet-- home to all my arts and crafts. So feel free to browse around my everyday adventures.